Wednesday 3 July 2013

A Journey of Sewing

My foray into sewing machine sewing has been a long and patchy journey.

I first started sewing for my GCSE Textiles (NINE years ago?!). It didn't start off so well, and i created this eye-sore 'cushion'....

 The ideas were good, just not the construction! I included lots of techniques...
Red: Marbling
Orange: Screen Printing
Yellow: Batik
Green: Fabric Paint
Blue: Tie Dye
Pink: Fleece (not a technique)
Purple: Cross Stitch on Waste Canvas

 It got better though, and I eventually created this Dream Team for my final project (which scored me an 'A' grade!).


Hello Mr Penguin!

Diffuser Inks! I loved these!


It's looking good, but it still hasn't been used for any real purpose...

After that, I didn't really touch a sewing machine for a long time... not because I didn't want to, but just because I didn't have one! I used friends machines over the years to alter dresses and make quick projects, but nothing major. I channelled my creativity into many different areas of crafts, and learnt to knit!


Some little knitting projects

Then last March, I spent a few days in Newcastle designing my wedding invites with one of my bridesmaids, the VERY creative Hannah. She had always fancied trying out sewing paper / card... and so my wedding invites were created!!


After that, i was bound and determined to own a sewing machine! I put one on my wedding gift list... but no-one bought it for us!

My sweet husband said we could spend some of our wedding money on it though! Roll forward 6 months to January, and i EVENTUALLY started to research... and this is the lady i chose!


I love her and all her purpleyness!I got her quite cheap in an amazing deal from Sainsburys (yes, apparently Sainsburys do sewing machines?! Free P&P too!), and being Toyota, i know she will last me well.

Since she arrived, I have been loving the chance to re-explore all things sewn. I will share my projects as i get round to taking photos!

Fran xx

No comments:

Post a Comment